Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.14 Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry.I Corinthians 10:12-14
Temptation is Satan’s tool to lead us into sin, and it is a highly effective tool. He uses it to lead us from holiness to unholiness and righteousness to unrighteousness. Anyone who says they are never tempted is a liar and they are deceiving themselves.
Temptation is the primary reason we desire to sin.
Genesis 3:1-6 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden? 2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: 3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: 5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. 6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
All sin is preceded by a temptation that has overcome you.
- You will not surely die – temptation deals with a known truth that is in opposition to sin. It minimizes the danger of sin and maximizes the imagined benefits.
- Attacks the character of God – your eyes will be open – breeds doubt about the word and character of God.
- All temptation is based on at least one massive lie – you will be like gods
- Temptation always incites lust to know and experience evil – you will know good and evil
Without temptation, you would never have a desire to sin
Temptation is extremely dangerous when on thinks they cannot fall into sin.
Understand, any of us can fall into any sin at any moment.
– Satan is aware of this!
Pride will always lead to a fall
Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall. 19 Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud. – Proverbs 16:18-19
- Destruction always accompanies pride.
- Arrogance about sin is pride – be careful how to look at Others who have fallen into sin
And when he was at the place, he said unto them, Pray that ye enter not into temptationJesus in Luke 22:40
And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked: 8 (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;) 9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished: -II Peter 2:7-9
- An active prayer life is key to defeating temptation
Temptation seeks to overcome you.
I Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
- Even while doing spiritual activities, temptation can overcome you.
- They come and overtake you – they take control, grasp, the control to use you
- They attempt to hold you down until you sin.
- Temptation only exists until you yield to the sin – the sin brings guilt, shame, defeat, feelings of inferiority, separation, fear
- Temptation is defeated when we resist and do not yield.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. 9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. 10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.James 4:7-10