Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.16 Do not err, my beloved brethren.17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.James 1:12-17
Last time we looked at the first two steps
- The Look
- The Lust
Today we will look at the Lure (the bait) and the conception
The Lure (the bait)
a. Entice – to attract artfully or tempt by offering pleasure or advantage
b. Allure – Powerfully attract, tempt
c. Enticement grows your desire
d. It awakens your desire for that which is forbidden
e. You become focused on just one thing – the forbidden
Proverbs 7:10-27 And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart.11 (She is loud and stubborn; her feet abide not in her house:12 Now is she without, now in the streets, and lieth in wait at every corner.)13 So she caught him, and kissed him, and with an impudent face said unto him,14 I have peace offerings with me; this day have I payed my vows.15 Therefore came I forth to meet thee, diligently to seek thy face, and I have found thee.16 I have decked my bed with coverings of tapestry, with carved works, with fine linen of Egypt.17 I have perfumed my bed with myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon.18 Come, let us take our fill of love until the morning: let us solace ourselves with loves.19 For the goodman is not at home, he is gone a long journey:20 He hath taken a bag of money with him, and will come home at the day appointed.21 With her much fair speech she caused him to yield, with the flattering of her lips she forced him.22 He goeth after her straightway, as an ox goeth to the slaughter, or as a fool to the correction of the stocks;23 Till a dart strike through his liver; as a bird hasteth to the snare, and knoweth not that it is for his life.24 Hearken unto me now therefore, O ye children, and attend to the words of my mouth.25 Let not thine heart decline to her ways, go not astray in her paths.26 For she hath cast down many wounded: yea, many strong men have been slain by her.27 Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death.
Proverbs 16:25-33 There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.26 He that laboureth laboureth for himself; for his mouth craveth it of him.27 An ungodly man diggeth up evil: and in his lips there is as a burning fire.28 A froward man soweth strife: and a whisperer separateth chief friends.29 A violent man enticeth his neighbour, and leadeth him into the way that is not good.30 He shutteth his eyes to devise froward things: moving his lips he bringeth evil to pass.31 The hoary head is a crown of glory, if it be found in the way of righteousness.32 He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.33 The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the LORD.
Two sides of enticements
The internal – the heart
The external – outside forces
External – RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Internal – GUARD the self-talk – DO NOT THROW GAS ON THE FIRE
Quickly put out the flame – change your focus
Pray for discernment to control your desires
Stop ALL internal enticements (you control what you allow your heart to follow)
Flee from all external enticements
The conception (Temptation reasons why you should choose to sin)
Temptation draws you away
Enticement fans the flame
(Now it is conceived —you decide to sin!
- When drawn away by your OWN lusts.
- Enticed – baited
- Conceived – Give way to sin
Enticement ends and conception begins the moment you decide to fulfill your own desire to sin
When sin is conceived, enticements sit down – it is finished
Desire takes over and sin is committed
3 Phases of enticement are
- Desire – feelings
- Defend – thoughts of pleasure take over
- Decision – choice to sin is made
The desire phrase – giving emotional attraction to temptation
Your desire to respond grows
Desire takes over your thoughts (you begin to justify your sin
You then defend your sin – you rationalize that it is OK.
Choice – negative – you dismiss all reasons not to
Positive – emphasizes the reasons not to
YOUR EMOTIONS ALONE WILL NOT LEAD TO SIN – YOUR MIND AND WILL HAVE TO GET INVOLVED.
SIN HAPPENS WHEN YOUR REASONS TO SIN OUTWEIGH YOUR REASONS TO STAY HOLY
Most powerful reasons to commit sin come when you take a reason not to sin and turn it into a reason to sin
Decide phase – final choice – this is the conception
- You begin to plan how you will
- You decide when you will
- Feelings begin to dictate over reason – thinking takes over in your conscious mind – not your subconscious mind – your thoughts are now wide open
Questions to ask –
- What am I feeling that I want to do?
- How long have I been feeling this way?
- What am I thinking?
- Am I looking for reasons to commit this sin?
- Am I trying to justify the sin I want to commit?
- What am I planning to do?
- When and where am I planning to do this sin?
- Have I pictured this in my imagination?
These questions will help you decide where you are at
At this point, Stop and recommit your heart and life to Him and to the truth: do this out loud.
- I am committing to living holy in all my conduct
- I submit to the Lord and choose His will for my life
- I yield to the Holy Spirit and His will for my life
- I deny myself the lust of the flesh
- I realize this is only a common temptation that everyone faces
- I believe the Lord is limiting this temptation to what I am able to bear
- I believe the Lord is making a way to escape right now
- I know the Lord is not the cause of this temptation
- I know the Lord is the giver of every good and prefect gift
- I know the Lord loves me and wants what is best for me
- I know this sin not only displeases the Lord but it will hurt me
- I have been drawn away by this temptation by my own lust
- I have felt my desires drawing be toward temptation
- I take every thought captive for Christ and stop my thoughts of this sin
- I am fully aware of this temptation and I will not be deceived
- I know this temptation is aimed at my destruction
- I choose to turn my back on this temptation
- I submit fully to Christ and I resist this temptation in the name of Jesus
- I present myself and all my members a instruments of righteousness
- I thank the Lord for His shed blood and my eternal salvation
Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.John 8:12