Matthew 28:18-20 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
• What do you think of when you think of the church?
• Do your views line up with the Biblical views?
• Do you even know what the real church looks like?
• Here is what Jesus said about His church in Matthew 16:18.
Acts 2:42-47 – And they continued stedfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. 43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common; 45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need. 46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, 47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
I want to look with you at the qualities the church should have. I want to kind of take them in reverse order. So, here we go.
BIBLICAL QUALITIES OF A REAL NEW TESTAMENT CHURCH
- Quality one – Praise! Acts2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
- Quality two – Gladness! Acts 2: 46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, Psalms 122:1 I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD. Glad means to greatly rejoice.
- Quality three – Getting together on a regular basis. Acts 2: 46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, Hebrews 10:24-25 – And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: 25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
4 Quality four – Ministry together with other believers. Acts 2:45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need. I Corinthians 4:1-5 – Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God. 2 Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful. 3 But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man’s judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self. 4 For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord. 5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.
A. Involves my time.
B. Involves my talents.
C. Involves my giving.
5 Quality five –Sound Biblical doctrine taught and lived out. We are told to live out our faith. Acts:2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
A. Share the good news of Salvation.
B. Minister to those within the body of believers who are in need.
C. Minister to those who are outside the body who are hurting.
James 1:19-27 – Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: 20 For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. 21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls. 22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. 23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: 24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. 25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed. 26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man’s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.
What are you doing to have:
- An attitude of praise.
- A heart of gladness.
- An urgency to come together.
- A ministering spirit of others.
- A willingness to live out sound doctrine.