That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.
There has never been a greater story told than the one of God’s redeeming love. Think about it. God created the worlds and everything in it and the last thing He created was man. Man was created in God’s image, placed in a perfect environment, walked, and talked with God daily and could pretty well do whatever he wanted too, except one thing.
Genesis 2:16-17 – And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: 17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
The simple facts
- Eat of all the fruit of the trees but one.
- One simple thing is all God asked.
- One. What did man do?
- He ate of the tree anyway.
- Eat at your own peril, but if you do, you will die!
- Isn’t that just like man today?
- A sneaky snake.
- It tricked Eve. (side note) It appears that God told Adam not to eat before He created Eve.
- Eve did not get the facts right – Genesis 3:2-3 – And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
- Eve is not the one God held responsible.
- Adam was responsible.
God gave the message to Adam, not to Eve.
Adam was responsible to properly relay the message to Eve.
Adam was present when Eve ate the fruit, but made no attempt to stop her.
Eve was tricked – deceived!
Adam was fully aware he was violating God’s command.
Genesis 3:14-15 – And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel
- Adam did not fully understand God’s statement of redemption to come.
- Satan surely did.
- Satan brought condemnation to all man kind
- The message of Christ is not one of condemnation, but of hope.
- The world’s message is one of darkness and despair
John 3:19-20 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.
You and I are to shine the light –
Matthew 5:14-16 – Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
What will our light Do?
- It will reveal the truth to those who have no hope.
- It will focus on the cure, not the curse. Jesus came to remove the condemnation, not to condemn – our focus should be the same. (you and I can not remove someone’s sin, only Jesus can do that – we are to make Him known.)
- The true light will lead sinners to eternal life.
- Man can not respond if the light is not revealed.
- You and I are indeed the way God has chosen to take the light.
I Corinthians 3:8-11;16 – Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour. 9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God’s husbandry, ye are God’s building.10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
- Provide a way to Him.
- Use us (you and me) to share the good news.
- To remove man’s condemnation and replace it with eternal life.
- To make man’s part simple – Believe!!
Romans 10:9-10;13 – That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Romans 10:14-17 – How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! 16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? 17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Matthew 28:19-20 – Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.