John 3:1-15 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born?5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.9 Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
I want to focus today on the words Jesus used with Nicodemus, ‘YE MUST BE BORN AGAIN”. This was hard for Nicodemus to comprehend. I contend with you today that this is still hard for people to comprehend. Fact is, the world and even some “so called” Christians mock others when they use this term: but Jesus said “Ye Must Be Born Again” to enter His kingdom. So, let’s look at this today.
What Born again is not!
B. Being a good church member
D. Confessing to a man
E. Doing good deeds
F. Being good, better than the next man
G. It is not even some prescribed prayer.
H. It is not baptism – that would mean it is based on something you do.
What Born again is!
A. It is a new birth – a recreation of the inner man – I Corinthians 5:17 – Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
B. It is a repentance of one’s sinfulness and a turning to Jesus – Luke 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
C. It is the Holy Spirit transforming you and enabling you to change your thinking about things. – John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
D. It is all God and zero man – Ephesians 2:8-10 – 8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
So how is one born again?
Acts 16:30-34 – And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.33 And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway. 34 And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house.
Believe What God says about:
And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house.
A. Believe What God says about:
- Your sinfulness. Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
- Your inability to earn your way.
- His love for you. John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in His should not perish, but have everlasting life.
- His provision – His only begotten son.
- His requirement – perfection II Corinthians 5: 21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
- His satisfaction – Isaiah 53:4-11 – Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.
So, let us examine:
- Man’s sinfulness – Romans 3:10 – As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: Romans 3:23 – For all have sinned and come short of the Glory of God.
- Man’s condition – Hopelessly lost! Luke 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.
- Man’s greatest need – The removal of the sin debt. Romans 6:23 – For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
- Man must move from a head knowledge to a heart knowledge – Romans 10:9-11 – That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
Agree with God – You are a sinner.
Agree with God – Sin must be paid for.
Agree with God – Be willing to turn from your sinfulness to God.
Agree with God – Jesus did die for your sin and He alone can save you.
Agree with God – Jesus died, was buried and rose again for your sin.
1 Corinthians 15:3-4 – For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: