Some facts about joining His family
- It happens instantaneously
- It is permanent
- It is the beginning of victorious living
- It is the beginning of sanctification
Four people involved in one becoming a member of the family.
- God the Father
- God the Son
- God the Holy Spirit
- Us (man)
Holy Spirit is the agent of Salvation
Holy Spirit separates us from sin unto Christ.
- Holy Spirit makes us alive (Born Again) – John 3:3-8
- Holy Spirit is our assurance of salvation (Security) Ephesians 4:30-32
- The Holy Spirit indwells the believer Galatians 4:6 Romans 8:11
- The Holy Spirit places us in Jesus Christ – I Corinthians 12:13 – For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
- The Holy Spirit gifts believers for service – I Corinthians 12:7-18 – But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.14 For the body is not one member, but many.15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
- The Holy Spirit produces Godly fruit in the believer.
The Father’s part in Salvation.
- The Father provided the sacrifice – Galatians 4:4-6 – But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.
- It was the way the Father chose –
Hebrews 10:10-18 – By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;13 From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.
The Son’s part in Salvation – He was the sacrifice
It was a one time and one time only sacrifice.
Hebrews 6:4-8 – For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.7 For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God:8 But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned.
He proclaimed on the cross that the work (sacrifice) was finished –
John 19:30- When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.He is now sat down at the right hand of the Father.
He is now sat down at the right hand of the Father.
Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
He makes intercession for us
Jesus made it possible for us to enter into the throne room. He established a new and better covenant
Hebrews 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
Hebrews 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.
CHRIST DIED ONCE FOR
The Role of the Believer
Ephesians 2:8-9 – For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
- Only must accept the gift
- Everything necessary for my salvation has be completely furnished by Jesus
- It is not by
What you do
Who you are
Cannot be earned
Can only be received by Faith in Christ
- Works do not save, but works follow salvation –
James 2:14-20 – What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
- To receive means to accept what He has done – John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Free Gift -Offered to all (whosoever)
John 3:15-18 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.