We will continue our Hebrews study by looking at another key phrase. The term “Let Us” is seen 11 times. We will examine this as we consider what we need to be doing as believers in these difficult days.
Let us Fear
Hebrews 4:1 – Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
A. Fear here means to be afraid of
- Ignorance of God’s word – Hebrews 2:1 – Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip.
- Failure to understand the promises to believers – Romans 16:17-20 – Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. 18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple. 19 For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil. 20 And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.
- We come up short of the rest (totally trust in Christ to sustain us and complete us. – Rest appears 8 times in this chapter
- A.. In our salvation – Christ alone and nothing else Hebrews 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.–
- B. Rest in the eternal salvation we have.Hebrews 4:5-6 -And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. – 6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: –
- C. Hebrews 4:8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.– Jesus (Joshua means savior) could not give rest to God’s people. He pointed to another. Hebrew name is Joshua and the Greek name is Jesus.
- D. We will enter into our heavenly home – real joy real peace, Hebrews 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.–
- E. Rest – Being complete in Him without works being a burden.
- Learn to enjoy the journey
- God has done everything necessary.
- We cannot earn it even a little.
Hebrews 4: 11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
- Satisfied with being in the will of God.
- Satisfied with serving (Laboring for) Him.
- Satisfied with totally trusting Him. Learn to sit at Jesus feet.
- Satisfied with being used of Him
I Corinthians 9:24-27 – Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.
Keep the goal in mind at all times – His reward to the faithful
2 Corinthians 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
2 Corinthians 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
Philippians 1:21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
We are to keep ourselves clean – pure
1 Peter 2:11 Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;
Romans 6:18-19 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness. 19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
1 Corinthians 13:1-3 – Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
Let us Labor
Hebrews 4:11 – Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
- Invest your time working for the right thing John 6:27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.
- Our salvation should produce works that lead us to fulfill the will of God. Philippians 2:12-16 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. 13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. 14 Do all things without murmurings and disputings 15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; 16 Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.
- We should be glad to invest in His work –
- without mudrmurings (indicates an inner complaining, silent resentment)
- disputings. (inner argument with yourself about doing the will of God)
Follow God’s formula for spiritual growth
II Peter 1:5-11 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; 6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; 7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. 8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. 10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: 11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
- Keep in remembrance where we have come from.
- We will become fruitful in our Christian walk
- We will triumphantly enter into His kingdom because of the King.