I. The Law has limits ( Romans 7-25)
A. THE LAW IS HOLY AND JUST AND GOOD (7-12)
1. It makes sin known – It defines sin (vs 7) What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
2. The end result of the Law is death
(8-12) 8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
B. THE LAW CANNOT SAVE ONE FROM SIN ( Romans 13-25)
1. The problem is not law, but sin (13) Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.
2. The Law is spiritual, but man is sinful (14) For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
3. The Law keeps one captive to sin even though one may desire good and hate evil, one is still enslaved by sin (15-23) 15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
4. Deliverance comes only from God, through Jesus Christ (24-25)
II. The only solution – “therefore”
Romans 8:1-4 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the
A. Immediate solution – “therefore now”
B. Now no condemnation – adverse verdict – we are found to be innocent.
C. The fleshly has been crucified.
D. There is now a new ruler – the Holy Spirit, not Satan.
E. NOW, FOR THE FIRST TIME, WE HAVE REAL FREEDOM TO LIVE ABOVE SIN.