Today we will begin a series of sermons on Discovering total and complete victory in your life. Many people over the years have shared with me their personal struggles to become victorious in this Christian life. Today we begin an unforgettable journey. Each week we will build upon the week before as we explore the scriptures and become all God has intended for us to become. I will be referring to the book “Set Apart, Discovering Personal Victory Through Holiness” by Bruce Wilkinson. Let’s get started.
I. Holiness means separation –
Exodus 3:3-5 And Moses said, I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt.4 And when the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I. 5 And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground.
A. What made the ground holy – GOD SET IT APART
- It was holy because God set it apart from the other ground.
- The difference between that ground and the other ground was not Moses, but it was God.
B. Holiness means separation from—set apart.
Romans 12:1-2 – I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
II Corinthians 6:14-18 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
C. Holiness requires separation from something and separation to something.
- Leaving one thing and replacing it with another thing.
- Root word for Holy translated:
- End devotion to something or someone and become devoted to someone or something else.
- Requires subtraction and addition (something must be added to take the place of that which is left behind
- It is abandoning the unholy and pursuing the Holy.
- Fleeing something and pursuing something
II Timothy 2:22-25 – Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
- Holiness is not about NO
It is leaving no so you can follow yes.
- Unbalanced Holy view (pursue of righteousness without fleeing unrighteousness or fleeing unrighteousness without pursuing righteousness.)
- Practical Christianity (when we leave behind the pattern of the world to become more Christlike in our character and conduct.)
I Peter 1:15-16 – But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; 16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
10.This is personal – one on one
- a. do not compare your holiness with someone else.
- b. God calls you to leave all conduct that is against Him and His word and devote your life to that which is Holy and just
11. HOLINESS IS THE PERFECT WILL OF GOD FOR YOU.